Increasing muscle strength and size are synchronous with weightlifting and bodybuilding. However, weightlifting and bodybuilding offer other fitness benefits as well. Aside from developing strength, you can also improve your stamina and endurance and decrease body fat. If you would want to start or just starting out with weight training, make sure to follow these essential tips to maximize your results.
1. Set reasonable goals. You'll only be disappointed if you think you can achieve your desired results in a short time. Weight lifting takes time and effort. Devise a program that you can commit to for several weeks, based on how much time you can invest in training
2. Balance your program with cardio routines. Doing cardiovascular workouts will supplement your strength training as you develop stamina, endurance and even flexibility. Try to do 3 to 4 cardio exercise sessions per week, each lasting 30 minutes long.
3. Diversify your training. Author Bill Pearl of "Getting Stronger", a bodybuilding and weight lifting book, underscores the importance of altering or changing routines regularly. Change your training every four to six weeks to work out different muscle groups and keep your training sessions fresh and enjoyable.
4. Wear the right attire. Injuries can be avoided by wearing proper gym attire. Just make sure you are comfortable with your clothes and shoes. Consider buying quality training instrument and gear.
5. Measure your results. Measuring your results helps in increasing your motivation and long-term commitment because the practice allows you to see your progress concretely. Consider keeping a workout log, measuring your body before and after a workout, and taking photos of yourself to keep track of your progress.
6. Mental Training. You might think that weight training and bodybuilding is purely physical, but your training would also involve a great deal of your mind as well. You would need self-discipline to stick with your program. You would also need determination and concentration to go through pain and difficulties. You would inevitably develop mental toughness as you push yourself to your physical limits.
You would need to invest effort and time to get your desired results out of bodybuilding and weight training. You can achieve your results faster by creating a solid training program, following your training schedule and by applying fundamental fitness principles.